SFI/SBI/Transit - Dumping

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Mar 16 00:01:51 UTC 2021

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 11:35 AM Douglas Fischer
<fischerdouglas at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm going a bit deeper into the study of Peering Relationships...
> And one of the possibilities that I'm trying to understand better on the Peering Relationships on the Internet been considered dumping(economy).
>
> The matter here is more on the economic and commercial aspects than on the technical side.

Hi Douglas,

I'm not aware of any examples of Dumping (in the economics sense)
involving backbone BGP peering. Usually the problem is collusive
exclusion.

If you want to cast a wider net, Erols Internet of the 1990s offers an
interesting case study in driving competition out with extended
below-cost pricing. But this was dialup and DSL service, not backbone
peering.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--