How to Fix IP GEO for google/youtube tv

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Mar 11 21:43:11 UTC 2021

On 3/11/21 2:28 PM, Jared Brown wrote:
> Out of interest, why does it take multiple weeks to edit a GEO IP entry?

I have no idea /why/.  I only know that it /is/.

I /assume/ -- from a place of ignorance about the innards of the process
-- that there is validation and manual approval.  I also /assume/ that
there are enough requests that there can be a backlog, hence why there
is variance.  There may also be something as silly as the process that
amalgamates things is run every other week.  I simply do not know /why/
I only know that it is.

> I wonder why Google even has this problem at all. If you've so much
> as looked at Google maps or used any app that uses location services
> then Google knows with a high certainty where you are.

I think that there is more to it than meats the eye.  Especially when
you consider how to deal with things like the 2nd hand IP market and
ISPs from neighboring countries that aren't exactly friendly with each
other.

> This is a problem Google actually *can* automate away.

I assume -- from a place of ignorance -- that you are correct in that
there is room for process improvement.

I do trust that colleagues are adhering to and executing the process to
the best of their ability.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die