Re: OVH datacenter SBG2 in Strasbourg on fire 🔥

Matt Harris matt at netfire.net
Thu Mar 11 11:06:46 UTC 2021

Matt Harris|Infrastructure Lead
816-256-5446|Direct
Looking for something?
Helpdesk Portal|Email Support|Billing Portal
We build and deliver end-to-end IT solutions.
On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 4:46 AM Daniel Karrenberg <dfk at ripe.net> wrote:

> Maybe the innovative ‘green’ design had something to do with the
> rapid spread of the fire and the way fire suppression was engineered:
>
> https://us.ovhcloud.com/about/company/green-tech
>
> Further I conjecture that a halon system would not be feasible in such a
> structure.
>
> Daniel

There are plenty of effective options besides environmentally-destructive
Halon, dangerous-to-equipment water sprinkler, or dangerous-to-personnel
CO2 for fire suppression these days. Some of the most common today are foam
systems like FM-200 or 3m's Novec.

- Matt