Re: OVH datacenter SBG2 in Strasbourg on fire 🔥

Matt Harris matt at netfire.net
Wed Mar 10 15:47:54 UTC 2021

Matt Harris|Infrastructure Lead
816-256-5446|Direct
Looking for something?
Helpdesk Portal|Email Support|Billing Portal
We build and deliver end-to-end IT solutions.
On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 9:43 AM Andy Ringsmuth <andy at andyring.com> wrote:

> > On Mar 10, 2021, at 3:23 AM, Fredy Kuenzler <kuenzler at init7.net> wrote:
> >
> > Very sad day for our colleagues at OVH AS16276 as they lost their
> datacenter SBG-2 in Strasbourg/France completly („everything is destroyed“)
> in a fire 🔥 and the neighboring SBG1/SBG3/SBG4 at least temporary.
> >

> https://www.dna.fr/amp/faits-divers-justice/2021/03/10/strasbourg-important-incendie-dans-une-entreprise-situee-sur-un-site-seveso-au-port-du-rhin
>
> Sad to see of course, but also a little surprising that fire suppression
> systems didn’t, well, suppress the fire.
>
> Unless they didn’t exist?

I was just discussing this with a buddy of mine. I'm hoping we get a
post-mortem that helps us understand what happened and how we can all do
better potentially as an industry. The fact that fire fighters (ostensibly
professionals, based out of what appears to be an industrial areas no less)
were unable to get the fire under control definitely indicates to me that
there was something exceptional going on there beyond a typical fire in a
data center environment.

There had to have been cascading failures somewhere along the line, though,
imho: whether that involve the engineering, implementation, or execution
stage or multiple thereof remains to be seen...

 - Matt