AWS Using Class E IPv4 Address on internal Routing

Fred Baker fredbaker.ietf at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 14:53:33 UTC 2021

The "RFC" you're looking for is probably https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wilson-class-e-02, which was not agreed to and so has no RFC number. The fundamental issue that was raised during that discussion was that while repurposing class e would provide a few more IPv4 addresses and so delay the need to replace the IPv4 protocol for some period of time, APNIC's experience with a new /8 in 2011 (it was given the /8 in January 2011, and by April had largely distributed it to its members) suggests that the address space would be used up almost immediately if distributed publicly, and if used privately doesn't benefit the many networks that really honestly wish that we could squeeze more than 2^32 addresses into a 32 bit container.

I'd really suggest using IPv6. Networks like Reliance JIO in India, which has turned off or never turned on IPv4 for most of its services, find that they don't need IPv4 apart from customer preference.