DPDK and energy efficiency

Brian Knight ml at knight-networks.com
Fri Mar 5 20:43:38 UTC 2021

On 2021-03-05 12:22, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:

> Sure, here goes:
>
> https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-BJ9FCT6K9/

Thanks for sharing these results.  We run DPDK workloads (Cisco nee
Viptela vEdge Cloud) on ESXI.  Fwiw, a quick survey of a few of our Dell
R640s running mostly vEdge workloads shows the PS output wattage is
about 60% higher than a non-vEdge workload: 420W vs 260W.  PS input
amperage is 2.0A at 208V vs 1.4A, a 42% difference.  Processor type is Xeon
6152.  Stats obtained from the iDRAC lights-out management module.

vEdge does not do any limiting of polling by default, and afaik the
software has no support for any kind of limiting.  It will poll the
network driver on every core assigned to the VM for max performance,
except for one core which is assigned to the control plane.

I'm usually more concerned about the lack of available CPU cores.  The
CPU usage forces us not to oversubscribe the VM hosts, which means we
must provision vEdges less densely and buy more gear sooner.  Plus, the
increased power demand means we can fit about 12 vEdge servers per
cabinet instead of 17.  (Power service is 30A 208V, maximum of 80%
usage.)

OTOH, I face far fewer questions about vEdge Cloud performance problems
than I do on other virtual platforms.

> Cheers,
>
> Etienne

Thanks again,