IPv6 Multicast Routing&Registry

Greg Shepherd gjshep at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 21:44:00 UTC 2021

Globally unique multicast destination addresses have become
unnecessary since the advent of SSM. If you look at the IPv4 registry,
you'll what was essentially a land-grab of Group D address space back when
global multicast delivery was considered "on the horizon", and ASM was the
only option. Then there was GLOP for automatic assignments based on ASN,
then SSM. I co-authored a draft back in ~2003 (from memory..) to
deprecate global IPv6 ASM, but was over powered by vendor vote-stuffing,
and it was shot down. Nearly two decades later, a similar draft emerged and
is now a BCP: RFC8815

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8815

No more global IPv6 group address assignments required.

- Shep