CGNAT

Jared Brown nanog-isp at mail.com
Mon Mar 1 19:38:15 UTC 2021

Kevin,

One of the presented options isn't like the others. As such the comparison isn't really fair, especially if you expect to run your business longer than 7 years.

If you buy more IPv4 space you will neither have to deal with CGNAT nor worry about traffic growth. Both of those benefits are easily worth the (short term) premium.

In the long term, buying more IPv4 blocks now is likely to be cheaper than running CGNAT for the foreseeable future.

To echo Owen, in general, the economics today still work out to make purchasing addresses more favorable than CGNAT.

- Jared