shadowserver.org

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Mon Jun 28 23:04:32 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 2:02 PM Doug McIntyre <merlyn at geeks.org> wrote:

> I'd say my public facing servers are under constant attack of some level
> of utility.
>
> Ie. my honeypot email servers collect 100k+ connections a day each,
> that don't have any MX pointing to them, their only sin is being up and
> listening to port 25. They can't process a single email in or out.

...the way I know to check if my DNS, SSH, or SMTP daemons have died and
need
to be restarted is if the steady stream of syslog messages from probes
suddenly
goes quiet.

I thought it was rather nice of the Internet to provide 24/7 distributed
service
availability monitoring for me.  No more having to pay Keynote to poke my
ports every 15 minutes!   ;)

Matt