IPv6 and multicast listener discovery

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Jun 20 15:48:11 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 9:34 AM Dale W. Carder <dwcarder at es.net> wrote:
> Are your links or hosts limited in some way or broadcast domains
> of some unreasonable size?  Most of the competent switching or
> managed wireless products will snoop or otherwise handle this
> overhead in a sane manner.  Otherwise this at best would seem to
> be an over-optimization.
>
> From my days on a giant campus network the current pps rate of MLD
> chatter was much lower than the IPX/SAP broadcasts we had from
> 20-25 yrs earlier.

Hi Dale,

Actually, I'm doing station to station encryption with macsec using
multiple SCIs at each station so there's a magnification effect of
encrypted multicast packets that the switch can't snoop even if it
wanted to -- all the intermediate equipment sees is an opaque ethernet
frame with the broadcast flag set.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--