Google uploading your plain text passwords

K. Scott Helms kscott.helms at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 22:55:08 UTC 2021

Bill,

I don't think you're lying, but you are mistaken.

"I'm not lying. Google's server at passwords.google.com
composed an html web page containing my plaintext passwords and sent
it to me. Not decrypted by my browser after combining it with a
locally stored key. "

So, you're not describing all of the possible ways to decrypt data.  What's
happening is that the keys to decrypt the passwords are handed to your
client (with some checks like a local admin password or pin) when you
attempt to decrypt a given password.  The passwords _are_ decrypted on your
device and you did not get a HTML page with your passwords.  Please, go
look at the source yourself.  What you got was a page that's almost
entirely javascript and that includes the functions that handle the
decryption.

Don't take my word for it, "When you log in to a website while signed in to
Chrome, Chrome encrypts your username and password with a secret key known
only to your device. Then it sends an obscured copy of your data to Google.
Because the encryption happens before Google’s servers get the information,
nobody, including Google, learns your username or password."

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/10311524?hl=en#zippy=%2Chow-password-protection-works%2Chow-we-protect-your-data

If you want the technical details, please take a look at this paper.  It
goes into detail about the process for Chrome, Firefox, and LastPass.

https://courses.csail.mit.edu/6.857/2020/projects/6-Vadari-Maccow-Lin-Baral.pdf

Scott Helms