Google uploading your plain text passwords

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Jun 12 14:29:10 UTC 2021

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 5:11 AM K. Scott Helms <kscott.helms at gmail.com> wrote:
> Encryption != plain text, just because it's not a hash doesn't mean it's problematic (if done correctly).

Scott, Google's computer is able to compose an html document which
contains my passwords in plain text. Whatever dance they do to either
side of that point in their process, at that point they possess my
passwords in plain text. Why is this concept a mystery to anyone?

> This is the exact same method that every single password management system uses and all are far better for the average user than trying to reuse a single password or write them down.

If I had authorized it, it would indeed be just like any other
password managing web site. I did not knowingly authorize it. They
snuck it on me.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--