Google uploading your plain text passwords

Damian Menscher damian at google.com
Sat Jun 12 05:31:12 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 12:48 PM Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com>
wrote:

> That's the part that would leave me concerned.
> Having my email password compromised?
> That's a bit of a "meh" moment.
> Suddenly discovering that one password now gave access to
> potentially all my financial accounts as well?
> That's a wake up in the night with cold sweats moment.  :(

Just a note about security threat modeling: your email password can
generally be used to reset all your other passwords, so actually having
your email password compromised is one of the most terrifying situations of
all.  Unless, of course, you use a security key with gmail, in which case
compromise of your password may not get the attacker very far. ;)

The Chrome password manager is convenient, and the sync can be incredibly
handy (I can sign into stuff on different computers or even my phone
without needing to copy over the passwords), but you might consider leaving
your highest-value passwords out of that system, or really any system.
Personally, my financial passwords are not known by Chrome, myself, or even
my password manager.  (Yes, you heard that right -- no single entity knows
the passwords.  How?  By using a simple secret-splitting scheme -- I
memorize part of the password, and my password manager stores the rest.)

Damian