Google uploading your plain text passwords

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jun 11 16:47:15 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:38 AM Jan Schaumann via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
> William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> > It turns out that every password I allowed Chrome on Android to
> > remember, it uploaded to Google. In plain text!!
>
> Chrome does not store your passwords in plain text.
> It encrypts them locally, on e.g. macOS using, I
> think, a secret stored in the keychain under "Chrome
> Safe Storage", on Windows using a similar API and
> secret probably unlocked via your login credentials.

Hi Jan,

I'm fine with Chrome encrypting them locally. That's what I want it to
do. I'm not at all fine with it uploading them to my Google account. I
don't want any trace of my non-google passwords present in my google
account. I'm very very not fine that it happened behind my back
without my express consent.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--