Google uploading your plain text passwords

César de Tassis Filho ctassisf at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 16:41:28 UTC 2021

Google stores encrypted passwords. By default it uses your own Google
Account password as part of the key to decrypt your other synced passwords.
But you can change that and use a custom "sync passphrase".

Once you're logged in your device can decrypt your passwords and compare
them against databases of known compromised passwords.

Google does not have access to your plain-text passwords in either case.

More info:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6208650
https://security.googleblog.com/2020/10/new-password-protections-and-more-in.html

Regards,