Google uploading your plain text passwords

Jan Schaumann jschauma at netmeister.org
Fri Jun 11 16:37:34 UTC 2021

William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> It turns out that every password I allowed Chrome on Android to
> remember, it uploaded to Google. In plain text!!

Chrome does not store your passwords in plain text.
It encrypts them locally, on e.g. macOS using, I
think, a secret stored in the keychain under "Chrome
Safe Storage", on Windows using a similar API and
secret probably unlocked via your login credentials.

If you use your favorite internet search engine to
look for "how does Chrome store passwords", you'll
find the local sqlite file and more detailed
explanations.

-Jan