A survey on BGP MRAI timer values in practice

Adam Thompson athompson at merlin.mb.ca
Thu Jun 10 15:12:08 UTC 2021

My question at this point is, what slow global convergence?  When I (or any of my downstreams) adjusts a prefix, I nearly always see global propagation in well under 60 seconds.  Among networks where I can check, at least.
I understand it could be technically possible to see near-instantaneous global convergence in more like <5sec, but... on a global scale, neither I nor my customers care about the difference between 5s and 60s.  Do other people need <60s propagation?
-Adam