A survey on BGP MRAI timer values in practice

Jakob Heitz (jheitz) jheitz at cisco.com
Wed Jun 9 17:03:46 UTC 2021

In Cisco, MRAI is "advertisement-interval".
MRAI helps to reduce route update multiplication in highly redundant
networks. OTOH, it can increase the time it takes to re-advertise
a complete internet table in some router implementations.
Update multiplication due to redundant network connections causes
some receivers of the multiple updates to become slow peers.

Here's an experiment: Do something to cause a BGP route refresh, like
the equivalent of "clear bgp soft out". It will not change any routes.
It just resends everything that was already sent. See how long it takes
with MRAI=0. Then set MRAI to about half of that value and do the
refresh again. If it takes substantially longer to complete the refresh,
stick with MRAI=0.
If there is no significant difference, use MRAI of 1 or 2 seconds.

Regards,
Jakob.