A survey on BGP MRAI timer values in practice

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Jun 8 06:06:18 UTC 2021

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 at 19:32, <shahrooz at cs.umass.edu> wrote:

> We often read that the Internet (i.e. BGP) has a long convergence delay.
> But why is it so slow? And can we (researchers) do anything about it?

Create business incentives to improve it. This is a non-technical
problem, we've long had technical tools to make it fast, there just
isn't incentive to make it fast. Customers are not asking operators
for better convergence speeds.

> Please help us out to find out by answering our short anonymous survey
> (<10 minutes).

Can you tell me what have you done so far? What are the default MRAI
values for each AFI/SAFI for IOS, IOS-XR, Junos, SROS, VRP and EOS?
Then people responding don't have to check what their NOS does, they
can refer to your table and tell the default value, since this is what
>99% will be using.

Now your survey has built-in selection bias, people who answer it are
people who know what it is and who are concerned about it and have
changed it, this is not a representative group and you will start your
work with very bad data.

--
  ++ytti