A survey on BGP MRAI timer values in practice

shahrooz at cs.umass.edu shahrooz at cs.umass.edu
Mon Jun 7 15:43:55 UTC 2021

Hi NANOG,

This is Shahrooz, a fourth-year CS Ph.D. student at the University of
Massachusetts Amherst working under the supervision of prof. Arun
Venkataramani.

We often read that the Internet (i.e. BGP) has a long convergence delay.
But why is it so slow? And can we (researchers) do anything about it?
Please help us out to find out by answering our short anonymous survey
(<10 minutes).

This survey aims at finding the best current practices on the Internet
about MRAI/"delay out" timer values. We expect the findings to increase
the understanding of the perceived BGP convergence on the Internet,
which could then help researchers to design better solutions for BGP
long convergence delay.

Survey URL: https://forms.gle/VNRpU2MzRU8DX1o57

We expect the questionnaire to be filled out by network operators whose
job relates to BGP operations. It has a total of 6 questions and should
take less than 10 minutes to answer.

A summary of the aggregate results will be published as a part of a
scientific article later (hopefully :) this year.

Thank you so much in advance, and we look forward to read your
email to any operator you might know who may not read NANOG.

Best,
Shahrooz