IPv6 and multicast listener discovery

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jun 4 21:01:19 UTC 2021

Howdy,

Question for those more versed in IPv6 than I: Is there any harm from
dropping ICMPv6 multicast listener discovery reports in a network
which does NOT use any multicast routing (i.e. only uses multicast
which stays within the local link). I see a LOT of idle node chatter
in the form of these reports which, of course, flood every station
since they are themselves multicast. As far as I can tell they are
used only to tell a multicast router whether to repeat a particular
set of multicast packets to the instant link. Which in my network is
-never- because there are no routed multicast packets to be repeated.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin