NAT devices not translating privileged ports

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Fri Jun 4 16:13:59 UTC 2021

Current gen Cisco ASA firewalls have logic so that if the connection
from a private host originated from a privileged source port, the NAT
translation to public IP also uses an unprivileged source port (not
necessarily the same source port though).

I found out that this behavior can cause issues when you have devices on
your network that implement older DNS libraries or configs using UDP 53
as a source and destination port for their DNS lookups. Occasionally the
source port gets translated to one that ISC BIND servers have in a
blocklist (chargen, echo, time, and a few others) and the query is
ignored. As I recall, this behavior is hard coded so patching and
recompiling BIND is required to work around it.

I forget what the older ASA behavior was. It may have been to leave the
source port unchanged through the NAT process (I think this is what you
mean by "not translated"). In that case the client doesn't implement
source port randomization and the NAT doesn't "upgrade" the connection
to a random source port so I don't really see it as an issue. Ideally
the client would implement source port randomization itself so it would
be using source ports within its ephemeral port range for outgoing
connections.

--Blake