DANE of SMTP Survey

babydr DBA James W. Laferriere babydr at baby-dragons.com
Thu Jun 3 21:41:29 UTC 2021

 	Hello Mr. Tinka & Mr. Andrews ,  Please see below .

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On 6/3/21 00:25, babydr DBA James W. Laferriere wrote:

 	The Below is to keep thread of thought accurate ...
>> On Wed, 2 Jun 2021, Mark Tinka wrote:
>>> * Step 2 - take your time cluing up on getting your zone signed, and
>>>  being part of the solution toward a more secure Internet. No
>>>  pressure, at your pace.

>>     Again ,  Will this handle the case of self-signed only ?
>
> Not sure I understand your question, in both cases of recursion and
> authoritative.

 	The Signing of the 'Zone' ,  Can the 'Zone' be signed by a self-signed
key ?  Or MUST I (and others) rely on a external certificate authority ?

 	Mind you I notice in rfc6487 (note(s)) about self-signed certificates .
 	So Maybe I am being a bit over worried about having to spend more money
just to keep my 2 ip-ranges routing in light of the RPKI initative(s) .

 	Which Mr. Andrews response below answers quite succinctly ,

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021, Mark Andrews wrote:

> DANE works with self generated CERTs.  The TLSA record provides the
> cryptographic link back to the DNSSEC root.

 	Thank You Mr. Andrews ,  Muchly . Is what I was hoping for .

 		Thank You Both .  JimL