Muni broadband sucks (was: New minimum speed for US broadband connections)

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu Jun 3 07:15:28 UTC 2021

On 6/3/21 09:07, Jim Troutman wrote:

> No.  Most of the municipal proposals I see are open access, even with
> a PON design.

In South Africa (we don't have city-owned/operated fibre access), all
the major fibre operators run a GPON network. They all provide open
access to the ISP's they partner with. So far, it seems to work well.

I'd say only one of the fibre operators is not an ISP (there may be
more, it's a big country). The rest are, but they run the businesses as
a silo so that they are fair to both their ISP divisions as well as the
3rd party ISP's they partner with.

Mark.