Muni broadband sucks (was: New minimum speed for US broadband connections)

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Thu Jun 3 05:45:44 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jun 02, 2021 at 04:02:02PM -0500, Mike Hammett wrote:
[...]

> Getting the incumbents on-board certainly isn't a requirement. The
> post I was replying to favored a future where all providers converged
> on one infrastructure. I was saying that wasn't likely to happen.

If there's any regulation, it ought to be along the lines of:
   If you use the public ROW, you cannot be an L3 provider.

Let the last mile people connect last mile entities to ISPs.

Let ISPs compete for consumers based on service, not on what
infrastructure they have to a geographic group of consumers.

There will be unintended consequences, but it does stop "silo" issues
and forces things towards common infrastructure.