New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 20:56:36 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 3:25 PM Josh Luthman <josh at imaginenetworksllc.com>
wrote:

> CAF/RDOF *requires phone service*.  The internet was a happy byproduct.

this seems like a useless engagement in hair splitting for the purposes
that don't actually make the original argument void.
My larger point here is that some time ago in the US the gov't decided it
worth the time/expense to raise funds (tax) and pay entities to deploy
'telecom' (phone, which then became internet-paths, dial, and fine
real-internet, dsl, etc) to 'the citizenry'.

It's probably time to discuss (hey,look we are!) the use of that same
mechanism to raise the tide of internet access to the citizenry.
Sure, you can get forked over like Mr Mauch, or Mr Heasley... because the
regulators/funders weren't careful enough... That sounds like a lesson to
learn and correct.
This will likely be expensive, but in a very large portion (80+%) of the
cases it won't actually be expensive to accomplish.

I understand that some folk may have to change their current plans.
I understand that some folk may need to engage in new technologies.

Those sound like opportunities to succeed.

-chris