New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Wed Jun 2 15:00:53 UTC 2021

On 6/2/2021 6:19 AM, Mike Hammett wrote:
> While I don't have any stats to back it up myself, one of my fixed
> wireless colleagues reported moving nearly a whole neighborhood from
> 25 meg fixed wireless to 200 - 500 meg fiber. The 95th% usage changed
> approximately 10%.
>

> -----
> Mike Hammett
> Intelligent Computing Solutions
> http://www.ics-il.com
>
> Midwest-IX
> http://www.midwest-ix.com

Mike, do you see this as an example where 25Mbps was not sufficient for
today's usage (as demonstrated by the change in actual usage measured
after speeds were upgraded)? Or do you see this as an example showing
that 25Mbps was fine (because the change measured was not great)? To
that end, was the upgrade from 25M -> 200M wasteful? or was it useful?