New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Jun 2 07:38:10 UTC 2021

On 6/1/21 19:38, Raymond Burkholder wrote:
> On 6/1/21 11:33 AM, Mike Hammett wrote:
>> 99% of the end-users I know can't tell the difference in any amount
>> of speed above 5 megs. It then just either works or doesn't work.
>
> And that might be the crux: 'just make it work'.

In 2010 when we were rolling out FTTH + IPTV for the first time in Kuala
Lumpur for $previous_job, we intentionally made the selling points:

     - Number of national + international voice minutes per month.
     - Number of HD and SD IPTV channels you received.
     - Number of VoD titles you received.
     - Number of users in the home that could enjoy Internet access
simultaneously.

No mention of how much bandwidth they bought, or needed to buy.

We understood, then, that folk don't care if they need 20Mbps or 100Mbps
to watch their HD sports channels. They just want their HD sports
channels. That it requires 20Mbps or 100Mbps is not their problem, but ours.

As my American friend used to say, "The just want their MTV". Hey Randy
:-)...

In the end, the killer up became the symmetrical service, despite it
being GPON. That was when Facebook was picking up, encouraging folk to
upload, share and create, i.e., upload bandwidth.

Mark.