BGP38 egress filter on Ubuntu Server

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 2 06:39:07 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 1:47 PM Stephen Satchell <list at satchell.net> wrote:
> Before I re-invent the wheel, has anyone come up with blackhole route
> specifications for netplan in Ubuntu servers?  Such a capability would
> perform the egress blocking for an edge server.
>
> The table of blackhole routes I would set up:

Hi Stephen,

I think you may be misunderstanding BCP 38. BCP 38 is about limiting
-source- addresses. What you've described is bogon filtering on
destination IP addresses. As far as I know, there's no BCP on bogon
filtering although BCP 84 offers some relevant advice.

BCP 38 is very simple:

1. If your IP address is 1.2.3.4 then drop any Internet-bound packets
which purport to be -from- any address which is not 1.2.3.4.
2. If your IP address is 1.2.3.4 then drop any packets FROM the
Internet which purport to be -from- 1.2.3.4.

That's it!

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--