New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Tue Jun 1 21:56:39 UTC 2021

For something "future-proof" you have to run fiber. Rural fiber would cost $5 - $10/ft. That's $26k - $52k per mile. Most rural roads around here have 2 - 3 houses per mile. I'm sure the more rural you go, the less you have. That's one hell of an install cost per home passed.

Failing that, you go to WISPs and LEO. In the uber rural areas, LEO is the only thing that makes sense. In the middle areas, WISPs are and will be the only viable option. There's limited available spectrum. It doesn't help when the FCC neuters WISP-friendly (well, really, friendly to any organization not a mobile wireless provider) auctions to make it more friendly to the mobile guys. Then, they made all of the other middle-band auctions effectively exclusive to mobile wireless plays. Shows how much they cared about making broadband available to people.

WISPs *CAN* deliver 100/20 (or better) service in LOS (line of sight) environments. In foliage-heavy environments, WISPs won't fare as good, but then neither will LEO. All that can get those kinds of speeds into foliage-heavy environments is geostationary (with appropriate usage of chainsaws) and cables of some kind. Obviously, current consumer geostationary can't do those kinds of speeds, but that's oversubscription.

So for a WISP or for LEO, you're looking at $500/home for costs (well, Starlink's raw costs are much higher, but that's what they charge per sub. WISPs don't charge that much per sub for an install cost, but that's likely to be more representative of the all-in cost for a high-capacity, scalable system). Compare that to the $10k - $20k per home for rural fiber.

Requiring a 100 meg upload really changes up the dynamics of the WISP capabilities, resulting in fiber-only at a cost increase of 20x - 40x... for something that isn't needed.

My performance assumptions are based on households, as that's how people exist. Recall my earlier usage information compared to the number of people and usage habits on my Internet connection. I just counted 75 devices in my regular "Internet" VLAN. That's excluding anyone on the guest WiFi, excluding the cameras VLAN, and I'll admit that I got lazy on my IOT VLAN and that most of those devices are on my regular Internet VLAN. I'm not trying to brag as I know some of you will have more. My point was that I'm not out of touch with how many devices people have.

Game consoles? Not much there for upload. Yes, they'll occasionally have big downloads (and getting bigger every day). Same with OS updates. They happen, but not every day.
Cloud backups? Once the initial seed is done, cloud backups are pretty small. All of my mobile devices backup to multiple cloud services (I think three).

I think the IEEE has taken *FAR* too long to push transmit synchronization into the WiFi standard. AX has a little bit of it, but it's not a requirement. I envision a world where the ISP pushes timing out via something *like* 1588 that then causes all of their subscriber's APs to transmit at the same time, greatly reducing interference potential. It's the only way to scale outdoor fixed wireless. Why can't WiFi do that too?

As has been said multiple times, fixing in-home WiFi would do more for people's QOE than moving their upload from 20 megs to 100 megs.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com