New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Chris Adams (IT) Chris.Adams at ung.edu
Tue Jun 1 18:27:30 UTC 2021

This short term mindset is part of the problem. I’ve seen projects around me using CAF funds that push DSLAMs further into the network to get users up to 100mbps, but they are already at their ceiling as soon as they are installed. I admire providers who invest beyond the short term into something that is future proof. 100mbps shouldn’t be the goal, it should be the baseline. It’s particularly troubling knowing how much federal tax money is subsidizing these installs that have no headroom on day 1. In my case, my neighbors get 25/1.5 on ADSL that loses sync half the time when it rains, partially in credit to the 30+ year old copper plant it runs on. Putting a DSLAM within 3000ft only fixes a small part of the problem.

Starlink won’t have the capacity to fix all rural broadband, but It will be interesting to see whether it applies pressure to the incumbents, or if it stunts capital investment in less dense areas as users flee the decrepit service available.

I am at least grateful that Auction 904 weighted and prioritized awards based on speeds delivered.

Chris