New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Livingood, Jason Jason_Livingood at comcast.com
Tue Jun 1 13:20:26 UTC 2021

> I think the 10:1 ratio might have been great 5 years ago, when usage was more asymmetric. The last 5 yrs. have definitely changed the profile of a typical home user. A 4M upload pipe, will hit bottlenecks with all the collaboration that is happening remotely.

I'm not sure ratio is the right thing to focus upon - especially as asymmetry has grown the last few years due to the rising using of streaming video services and greater availability of 4K-resolution content. Ratio seems like more a reflection of current applications and usage patterns. (It would be fascinating to see a non-US FTTH provider that was 1G/1G or greater share their actual usage ratio.)

JL