New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Tue Jun 1 11:33:15 UTC 2021

On 6/1/21 12:44, Shawn L wrote:

> From the ISP side, I can tell you that when a customer signs up for
> service and you offer them a couple of choices of wireless routers,
> they almost always pick the cheapest one.
>
> If you give them a reasonable / good router when you hook-up their
> service, some will still put their old 15-year old netgear back in
> place after the install crew leaves because they 'like it better' or
> they think it's faster.

And that's why, as I said before, most ISP's keep it simple, rather than
spending time and energy on advising customers about better options...
time they could be spending making a new sale or fixing another problem.

Furthermore, it's not enough to give a customer a better CPE. Customers
don't generally understand how to build their home wireless networks.
The only time they'll choose to fix this is when things get really bad,
or when they are renovating the house and have a neighbor that works for
an ISP and is the resident "fixer" :-).

Mark.