New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Tue Jun 1 04:43:12 UTC 2021

On 6/1/21 01:54, Tim Burke wrote:

> With that said, if there needs to be regulation on minimum broadband
> speeds, should there be regulation to require home ISPs to provide
> high-end 802.11ax-capable network gear, so the average clueless home
> user with a 1gbps FTTP connection can actually use the service they’re
> paying for?

I think having a half-decent home network goes beyond running the latest
and greatest 802.11 standard.

I spend quite a bit of time helping folk fix up their home networks, and
the things I see make me wonder how ISP's are still in business (mostly
because the home networks are so badly strung, you can be guaranteed
there is a phone call going to the ISP every hour).

Wireless meshing and/or wireless boosters have only compounded the
problem. The general approach is to spend as little as possible for the
home network, and expect the AP/router to work from the day you had ADSL
to the day you get Gig-E FTTH, including after you add more walls, doors
and beams during your lockdown renovation hobbies.

I agree that sufficient attention needs to be paid toward the home
network. But simply throwing an 802.11ax AP/router at the site does not
guarantee success.

Mark.