QUIC, Connection IDs and NAT

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Tue Jun 1 03:58:31 UTC 2021

the 5tuple includes protocol so increased adoption of QUIC alongside
TCP bound services effectively does increase the potential size of the
NAT binding table but if we're really a single-browser model and all
going to QUIC enabled webs, the effective outcome is to burn the port
space in UDP, not in TCP. its same-same if everyone jumps ship.

On the plus side, QUIC is a session: it multiplexes. So for a given
endpoint, there might only be one long-held QUIC binding. Sure, TCP
HTTPS in principle did this, but most of the code appeared to open
multiple simultaneous TCP connections. I am less sure this is
happening with the QUIC stack as presented. Maybe somebody smarter can
say.

the real problem is not the port count, its the amount of buffer space
the tiny chip has set aside, to hold "open" bindings in. We're
revisiting 1980s kernels and the TCB and ways to flush it, at this
point. By now, manufacturers should be making home routers out of
devices which have more memory purely for connection holding, than
prior devices had overall to boot a kernel in. But, consumers hold on
to WRT54G forever.

(I'm old. this may be a bad take on history, and current technology)