New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Tue Jun 1 00:26:54 UTC 2021

No one's paying me anything except 15 years of practical experience building last mile networks for myself and my clients. I'd imagine that while a larger percentage than most venues, a minority of the people on this list build last mile networks. Even fewer do so with their own money.

I have a fiber network where I offer gigabit bidirectional to the home.

Few people have any sort of grasp of the cost and complexity of building what they want.

Raising the the minimal definitions for everyone to what power users expect is a foolish venture.

I'm just trying to connect some of you to reality.

" Doesn’t matter." Yes, it matters very much so when you're proposing the expenditure of my money to meet your unrealistic goals. I'm not against raising the definition. I'm not against offering 1G or 10G to the home. I'm against you telling people that are perfectly happy with their service that it's not good enough for them and then using their and my tax dollars to "fix" it.

I don't disagree that the big ISPs have screwed the pooch many times and will do so in perpetuity. These programs often just give those same entities that screwed us all for years the money to do it. That's partially why they don't spend their own money doing it. They'll wait for Uncle Sam to pay them to do it.

Muni broadband does suck, but that's another thread for another day.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com