New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 00:19:42 UTC 2021

I think it has been true for many years that:

a) a vast majority of residential gigabit/symmetric customers, or gigabit
asymmetric (docsis3 500-1000 down, 16-50 up) no longer have a device in
their home with a 1000BaseT port on it, or don't know if they do. in some
cases literally the only cat5e cable they have may be a 3' piece from their
cable modem to 'router', and everything else is wifi.

b) don't understand the difference between the service speed delivered via
the wireline connection and demarc/handoff device, whatever that may be,
and their perception of service over the wifi.

c) are unwilling to go through troubleshooting steps requiring them to
directly connect a device to the modem/demarc by 1000BaseT and run speed
tests, possibly necessitating a service call (this can be partially avoided
by the install technician doing a *wired* speed test in front of the
customer at the time of install, from their laptop, and taking a couple of
minutes to explain the difference)

d) may be using badly configured wifi things that stomp on each other,
sometimes provided by the ISP (I have seen set-top boxes from major MSOs
that broadcast a 2x2 MIMO 802.11ac 80 MHz wide channel, now imagine ten of
these all in wood framed houses/condos/townhouses all very close to each
other, in addition to the wifi from the demarc modem/router device). There
are lots of other things in the common consumer environment that render
some environments a CSMA mishmash, like smart TVs, printers and things that
all create their own AP for some reason.

e) may be using their own randomly purchased-from-best-buy wifi "range
extender" devices to create weird forms of mesh networks in their home,
further halving their bandwidth with each half duplex hop.