A crazy idea

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Fri Jul 30 05:23:04 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 30/07/2021 07:58, Owen DeLong via NANOG wrote:> ...
> Consider this… I discussed this topic at length with JJB (COMCAST at
> the time) and pushed hard on why they don’t give /48s to their
> residential customers. His answer was that if they did so, they would
> need to get a /12 from their RIR (ARIN). My question to him in
> response to that was “so?”.

I recently got this "so?" question asked [1] and I believe I follow you
and see the point.

My response was along the line:
- today (at least here in AfriNIC-land - sorry to get out of "NA")
  the RIR charges membership fee depending on size of IPv4 allocations.
- Will the RIR charge membership fee depending on IPv6 allocation size
  in 5 years from now?

And it's a genuine question.
Does anyone know what the intentions or likelihood of options are?
Really interested.

Thanks,
Frank

[1]
by staff member asking why we don't replace the existing v6 /32 with
something bigger.