Anycast but for egress

Vimal j.vimal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 16:37:16 UTC 2021

Great point.  We don't need geo-diversity for websites with the IP address
issue, so we could design for that case specially on a one-off basis.

For throughput it shouldn't be an issue where we're located, but we often
find websites serving different content based on the source IP of the
traffic.  So, having a presence closer to the user is useful.  But then
again, this is a different concern that's orthogonal to the original
question, because geo-ip doesn't make much sense with an anycast IP.  For
those websites that need a stable IP for NACLs *and* serve different
content based on source IP, we have to use the predictable 3-5 IPs per site
suggestion of yours.

--
Vimal