Global Akamai Outage

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Mon Jul 26 12:42:07 UTC 2021

On 7/26/21 14:20, Lukas Tribus wrote:

> Some specific failure scenarios are currently being addressed, but
> this doesn't make monitoring optional:
>
> rpki-client 7.1 emits a new per VRP attribute: expires, which makes it
> possible for RTR servers to stop considering outdated VRP's:
> https://github.com/rpki-client/rpki-client-openbsd/commit/9e48b3b6ad416f40ac3b5b265351ae0bb13ca925
>
> stayrtr (a gortr fork), will consider this attribute in the future:
> https://github.com/bgp/stayrtr/issues/3

I was just about to cite these two as improving this particular issue in
upcoming releases.

I am running RPKI-Client + StayRTR, alongside Fort, and yes, while
monitoring should be standard, improvements in the validation and RTR
objectives will also go a long way in mitigating these issues.

What's quickly happening in this space is that not all validators and
RTR servers are going to made equal. There are a number of options
currently available (both deprecated and current), but I expect that we
may settle on just a handful, as experience increases. And in what
remains, I anticipate that they will be bolstered to consider these very
problems.

Mark.