Alien waves

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Wed Jul 21 09:13:22 UTC 2021

On 7/20/21 4:44 PM, Saku Ytti wrote:
> I'm going to hazard a guess that the exhaustive list is empty. Allowing
> 3rd parties to launch alien waves to your system puts your existing
> waves at the mercy of the 3rd party, power or lack thereof from the
> alien wave may impact operation of other waves.

While it might be different for subsea, especially transoceanic, simply
due to market factors, I suspect this is the case on most long-haul
routes of consequence.  Even the carriers I've talked to who have it
productized in their sales catalog with documentation as to the
responsibilities of all parties essentially refuse to sell it in practice.

The only traction I've gotten was if I wanted to buy half the C-band
spectrum on a new route not yet lit and was willing to sign a very
long-term (20 year-ish) contract for it.  Essentially it was treated
similar to an IRU on half the bandwidth on the route and came lit
end-to-end.  They were willing/able to do this since they could use
red/blue filters and separate VOAs and OPMs to keep things in check at
the entry/exit points of the line system.  This isn't really practical
if you're dealing with just a couple hundred GHz or have frequent need
to add/drop it.

--
Brandon Martin