100G, input errors and/or transceiver issues

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Jul 19 17:50:14 UTC 2021

On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 at 20:19, Graham Johnston
<johnston.grahamj at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't at this point have long term data collection compiled for the issues that we've faced. That said, we have two 100G transport links that have a regular background level of input errors at ranges that hover between 0.00055 to 0.00383 PPS on one link, and none to 0.00135 PPS (that jumped to 0.03943 PPS over the weekend). The range is often directionally associated rather than variable

On typical 100G link we do not get single FCS error in a typical day.
However Ethernet spec still allows very high error rate of 10**-12. So
1 error per 1Tb (b not B). I.e. 1 error per 10s, or 0.1PPS would be
in-spec. We see much better performance to this and vendors generally
accept lower error rates as legitimate errors.

--
  ++ytti