SITR/SHAKEN implementation in effect today (June 30 2021)

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Sat Jul 10 19:09:34 UTC 2021

No, the root of the problem is the telcos making billions on these
robocalls. Make that illegal, start fining them billions (whatever it
takes), and it will stop.

We've already had this discussion on nanog, recently, and people who
were in that business stood up to affirm that yes indeed-y they're
(telcos) making big buck$ on these robocalls.

If you doubt that (the usual "I don't actually know a thing about it
but I want to say here that I'd rather not live in a world where
that's true so I'll make some vague analogy to email spam etc") I
suggest you start making thousands of phone calls per hour and tell us
how it works out.

Telcos aren't email systems, they know every phone call terminating
and originating on their systems and they do detail billing. When was
the last time you made even one billable call and they missed it?

Telcos have often been described as vast detailed billing systems with
a voice (etc) feature attached.

But they sure are taking advantage of the public's belief that this is
all somehow out of their control. Nope.

--
        -Barry Shein