Do you care about "gray" failures? Can we (network academics) help? A 10-min survey

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Jul 9 12:51:52 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 5:04 PM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 5:31 AM Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:
> > Network experiences gray failures all the time, and I almost never
> > care, unless a customer does.
>
> Greetings,
>
> I would suggest that your customer does care, but as there is no
> simple test to demonstrate gray failures, your customer rarely makes
> it past first tier support to bring the issue to your attention and
> gives up trying. Indeed, name the networks with the worst reputations
> around here and many of them have those reputations because of a
> routine, uncorrected state of gray failure.
>
> To answer Laurent 's question:
>
> Yes, gray failures are a regular problem. Yes, most of us care. And
> for the most part we don't have particularly good ways to detect and
> isolate the problems, let alone fix them.

Depending on the actual failure mode, and the architecture of the
device itself, one technique is to run test traffic through the
box/path/whatever while twiddling the source and destination ports,
and sometimes the source IP as well.
This sometimes helps find the issue if there is a bad interface in a
LAG, or in a device which sprays packets/cells across an internal
fabric, etc. If you are really lucky you can convince the vendor to
share how they spray/hash (or, at least demonstrate deterministic
failure and hopefully they can hash and tell which of the N fabric
cards is broken)

Hopefully you noticed the number of weasel words in there...

--
The computing scientist’s main challenge is not to get confused by the
complexities of his own making.