Do you care about "gray" failures? Can we (network academics) help? A 10-min survey

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Jul 8 16:30:35 UTC 2021

On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 at 19:25, Lukas Tribus <lukas at ltri.eu> wrote:

> More generally speaking, single link overloads causing PL or even full blackholing affecting single links (and therefore in a load-balanced environment: specific tuples) is something that is very frustrating to troubleshoot and it happens quite a lot in the DFZ. It

Ask your vendor to implement RFC5837, so that in addition to the
bundle interface having the L3 address, traceroute also returns the
actual physical interface that received the packet. This would
expedite troubleshooting issues where elephant flows congest specific
links.
Juniper and Nokia support adaptive load balancing, dynamically
adjusting hash=>interface mapping table, to deal with elephant flows
without congesting one link.

--
  ++ytti