Do you care about "gray" failures? Can we (network academics) help? A 10-min survey

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu Jul 8 12:56:27 UTC 2021

On 7/8/21 14:29, Saku Ytti wrote:

> Network experiences gray failures all the time, and I almost never
> care, unless a customer does. If there is a network which does not
> experience these, then it's likely due to lack of visibility rather
> than issues not existing.
>
> Fixing these can take months of working with vendors and attempts to
> remedy will usually cause planned or unplanned outages. So it rarely
> makes sense to try to fix as they usually impact a trivial amount of
> traffic.
>
> Networks also routinely mangle packets in-memory which are not visible
> to FCS check.

I was going to say the exact same thing.

+1.

It's all par for the course, which is why we get up everyday :-).

I'm currently dealing with an issue that will forward a customer's
traffic to/from one /24, but not the rest of their IPv4 space, including
the larger allocation from which the /24 is born. It was a gray issue
while the customer partially activated, and then caused us to care when
they tried fully swing over.

Mark.