FreeBSD's ping Integrates IPv6

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Fri Jul 2 17:13:54 UTC 2021

* randy at psg.com (Randy Bush) [Fri 02 Jul 2021, 18:48 CEST]:
>pola breakage.  especially fun if you have tools which run on both
>sides of the koolaid.

On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, Linux had already made this
change for ping specifically. Almost all other tools you'd use
regularly are dual-stack by default that follow what's configured for
the system to prefer (for FreeBSD that's ip6addrctl_policy): tools
like telnet, ssh, mtr all follow the system default with -4 and -6
command-line options to override the default if situationally needed.
ping and traceroute were the only odd ones out, and now only
traceroute is. I think this was an unavoidable change worth the
temporary discomfort while tools using these tools are adjusted.

	-- Niels.