SITR/SHAKEN implementation in effect today (June 30 2021)

Keith Medcalf kmedcalf at dessus.com
Thu Jul 1 19:53:22 UTC 2021

>On Wednesday, 30 June, 2021 13:53, Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:

>From an automated standpoint, I really don't care about whether a phone
>number is authentic, I care about the domain that onramped it so I can
>theoretically punish it. It's the people who are allowing the spoofing
>that is the real problem which directly analogous to email open relays.

And this is why this problem will not be solved.  The "open relay" is making money from processing the calls, and the end carrier is making money for terminating them.  Until fine(s) -- hopefully millions of them, one for each improperly terminated call, together with jail time for the CEO of the company for "conspiracy to commit fraud" --  and EACH of the fines is EQUAL OR GREATER than the total yearly worldwide REVENUE of that end carrier, they will not have any impetus to "fix" the problem.

If a law were passed that imposed a $1 million penalty payable by the terminating carrier to each subscriber for each such call a subscriber received together with a term of 1 year imprisonment at hard labour for the CEO of the terminating carrier, the whole issue would be fixed before lunch-time.

THe motivated self-interest however, is to do nothing.  Eventually someone will bring a racketeering claim against the terminating carriers and they will then be properly "motivated" to stop profiteering off criminal activity.

--
Be decisive.  Make a decision, right or wrong.  The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.