[**EXTERNAL**] Re: Half Fibre Pair

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Wed Jan 27 17:54:00 UTC 2021

I believe strand counts were small because the power needed for that many amplifiers was too much to bear for budgets.

I suspect it's a combination of more power efficient amplifiers and a greater willingness to bear the extra costs to get the capacity that hyperscalers need.

Have many of those higher strand count cables been proposed that have any distance to them that don't have a variety of hyperscalers in the anchor tenants? It's a lot cheaper to power a 300 km cable than a 3,000 km cable.

Also, I don't just mean in the MRC, but in the NRC of the plant needed to supply and transmit that much power.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange