Nice work Ron

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sun Jan 24 12:18:49 UTC 2021

I fully understand what you mean, however, I don’t think this is a problem even if all the RIRs ask for “%50 or even 100%” of usage in the region.

That will make your life more complex, as you will need to obtain addresses from each RIR. In the worst case, if all them ask for the same:

If you need 2.000 addresses in LACNIC, 4.000 in ARIN, 3.000 in RIPE, 5.000 in APNIC and 1.000 in AFRINIC (just an example). This makes in total a global need for your network of 15.000 addresses. You will sign 5 contracts, and you will get a block from each RIR, that is a bit higher than your actual needs in that region. This means that you have more than 50% of the usage in that region and in the case of LACNIC, it means that you need to ensure that 1.000 addresses are used there. Probably you will not actually need to get addresses from every RIR, for example, the 1.000 addresses that you need for AFRINIC, are the excess of addresses from LACNIC, etc.

So, you end up with 2-3 RIRs allocations, not 5. And the real situation is that 3 out of 5 RIRs communities, decided to be more relaxed on that requirement, so you don’t need actually more than 1 or may be 2 allocations. Of course, we are talking “in the past” because if we are referring to IPv4 addresses, you actually have a different problem trying to get them from the RIRs.

It is the decision of the community if they don’t like this complexity and they don’t care if you get all the addresses from LANIC (for whatever reason you have that preference, or the corporation is sitting them, etc.), and actually only 20% of the addresses are being used in the region (for example) and the community can change that at any time.

For that, you *don’t need to convince me*, you need to go to the LACNIC policy list and convince the community there.

My policy proposal *didn’t change that*. The word “majority” was already there. It was already being interpreted “literally” as “you need to operate more than the half of the IPs *that you get from LACNIC* in the LACNIC region”. I just added a footnote (as part of a mayor set of policy changes), to make sure that everybody is clearly reading the same with >50% instead of coming to the list or to the staff to ask for clarity every other day.

Note that you are interpreting the % from your “complete network”. LACNIC community that did the original policy and adopted the recent change, may have a more “regional” perspective, culture, or whatever you call it (may be because the lack of IPv4 addresses, the lack of business cases – in general – for organizations that are from that region but operate globally, etc., etc.).

As I already mention, note that there is a similar case in AFRINIC policy. They require that *all* the resources you get, are used in the region.